West Nile Virus Found in Pomona/La Verne Area. Stay Pest-free with These Simple Summer Tips
Warm weather usually means outdoor fun in your backyard or patio. But did you know warm weather brings out insects, such as fleas and mosquitoes, which can spread diseases?
Residents are reminded to protect themselves and their families against insect bites.
Fight the Bite:
- Use insect repellent recommended by the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, such as Picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus, or DEET.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants when outdoors, if weather permits.
Do-It-Yourself Pest Management:
- Tip out stagnant water from containers, indoors and outdoors. If a container isn’t used, store it somewhere dry or toss it. Look in items such as tires, buckets, birdbaths, and plant saucers.
- Keep swimming pool water clean and filtered. Do not allow pool water to become green.
- Repair window and door screens if there are holes.
- Clear overgrown vegetation to remove harborage for wild animals. This reduces your risk of contact with typhus-infected fleas.
- Use a vet-approved flea control product to keep your pet happy and healthy.
Do your part to keep your home bite-free. Visit the San Gabriel Valley Mosquito and Vector Control District website at www.sgvmosquito.org for more information.
View the San Gabriel Valley Mosquito & Vector Control District YouTube channel for more information: https://www.youtube.com/user/sgvmvcd/videos