Assistance for Seniors
Assistance for Seniors:
City of La Verne staff recognizes the importance of community support for our senior citizen community in its efforts to prioritize the health and safety of residents. With on-going guidance from state and county officials, such as LA County Department of Public Health, the City of La Verne continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
We recognize there is social impact. The City emphasizes the importance of staying connected to official government and public health agency resources as news continues to be distributed globally. La Verne staff is weighing the best interests of our seniors in its efforts of responsible leadership. The following are recommendations for our senior community:
- Communicate frequently with family, friends or neighbors concerning your needs
- Only leave your home for essential activities
- Higher risk seniors can do the following
- Schedule an over the phone Doctor appointment
- Use city services for groceries and prescriptions deliveries
- Have someone pick up your senior meals or use offered services
- Local grocery stores are now providing hours for seniors to shop before the general public – Vons (Daily, 6-7 AM), Stater Bros. (T/F, 6-7 AM), Aldi (T/TH, 8:30-9:30 AM), Sam's Club (T/TH, 7-9 AM) and Target (T/W, 8-9 AM).
- Be mindfully aware of phone scams
- Remember to continue to exercise, using social distancing and sanitize often
- State Senior Hotline, (833) 544-2374
- Public Disaster Information Hotline, 2-1-1
Critical Delivery Service
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and the California Safer at Home Initiative, our aging population has an increased need for timely delivery services. WDACS has launched a free pickup and delivery program for older adults and individuals with disabilities. The Countywide program, called pdf Critical Delivery Service (4.59 MB) , will deliver groceries, household items, and other vital necessities to individuals who are unable to leave their homes due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Items may be delivered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at no cost to the client. No application process is required, however, items must be pre-paid and ready for pickup. Deliveries may be scheduled by calling 1-888-863-7411 between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday. Clients may utilize this service up to four times or 40 miles per month, whichever comes first.
In addition to the above, the City has initiated the following proactive steps to assist seniors:
We are in regular contact with managers of our senior communities to assess the level of need with their residents.
Expanded our You Are Not Alone (YANA) program. To enroll, please click the following to register, YANA.
Extended our local curbside senior lunch program, call the YWCA at (626) 214-9456 if you wish to be added to our waiting list.